The founder of the Morihachi family Ohsumi (Takanobu) Kameda was a decendant of Emperor Seiwa. In the 16th century, he governed the Ikko religion followers and served the Kaga clan lord Toshiie Maeda as a military commander. Sohyobei Ohsumi, Kameda’s grandson, ran a sake brewery from 1596 to 1615 near Kanazawa Castle. It was named Morishita-ya. During this period, he changed his name to Hachizaemon, and became the first Morishita-ya Hachizaemon. The second Hachizaemon received an order from the clan to start a confectionery in 1625, (Kanei 2) and became the Kaga clan’s exclusive confectionery artisan.
The third Hachizaemon was appointed by the third Kaga clan lord Toshitsune Maeda to create a product modeled after molded sugar sweets offered to Hideyoshi Toyotomi by the first Kaga clan lord Toshiie Maeda, to be named and autographed by a tea master Enshu Kobori. This was the birth of Cho-sei-den. Cho-sei-den was then presented to the emperor Komisuno-oh and became the appointed offering to the successive generations of Tokugawa Shogun family, which then brought praise to Cho-sei-den as the greatest of the three confectioneries of Japan. Generations after the third Hachizaemon, Morishita-ya was appointed to be a high-ranked servant and silver mint and walked alongside the Kaga Maeda family for 300 years. After the Meiji era, the shop name has been changed to Mori Hachi. Mori Hachi ushered into a new era with over 380 years of its heritage and mission instilled within their heart as a Kaga clan confectionery purveyor.